How to Hire the Best Tech Talent
An in-depth guide to finding and recruiting the right people for your technology team.
Make no mistake: finding and hiring tech talent for your business is hard.
In today's rapidly evolving digital landscape, hiring top tech talent has become one of the most critical challenges for businesses across the globe. With the increasing demand for technology skills, companies are struggling to attract, retain, and engage tech talent to help drive their innovation and growth.
However, that doesn’t mean it’s impossible. With the right strategies and approaches, businesses can overcome these challenges and successfully hire top tech talent.
In this comprehensive guide to hiring tech talent, we’ll help you understand what candidates are looking for in an employer, and how you can better attract people to your technology departments.
Here’s what we’ll cover (click to jump to section):
The Challenges Associated with Attracting Top Tech Talent
Attracting top tech talent is becoming increasingly difficult in today's competitive job market. Companies face a range of challenges when it comes to hiring the best and brightest in the tech industry. Here are some of the most significant challenges associated with attracting top tech talent.
Competitiveness of the Market
The tech industry is growing at a rapid pace, and the competition for top tech talent is fierce. Companies are competing for the same pool of highly skilled and experienced professionals, making it difficult to attract and retain the best candidates.
Shallow Talent Pool
The demand for technology skills has skyrocketed in recent years, but the pool of available talent remains shallow. This makes it difficult for companies to find the right candidates with the right skills and experience, leading to longer hiring processes and increased competition.
Expectations of Candidates
Tech professionals have high expectations when it comes to their careers. They are looking for meaningful work, a supportive work environment, and opportunities for growth and development. Companies that fail to meet these expectations will struggle to attract and retain top tech talent.
Job Role Visibility
In today's digital age, job role visibility is critical. If candidates can't find your job ad, they won't apply. Companies must ensure that their job listings are easily accessible and visible to potential candidates, either through online job boards or social media.
Lengthy Hiring Process
The length of the hiring process can be a significant challenge for companies looking to attract top tech talent. A lengthy and complex hiring process can discourage potential candidates and cause them to lose interest in your company.
Similarly, this can be a drawback for hiring teams, as you potentially have to invest a large amount of the working day on the recruitment process.
It's essential to be open to change and streamline your hiring process to make it as efficient and user-friendly as possible.
Impact on Employer Brand
The impact of the hiring process on your employer brand should also be considered. If a hiring manager is fearful of a previous experience, they may be less likely to take risks when it comes to hiring. This can result in a less diverse and less innovative workforce, which can have a negative impact on your employer brand.
What Tech Candidates are Actually Looking for in a Role or Employer
When it comes to attracting top tech talent, it's essential to understand what tech candidates are looking for in a role and employer. This information can help companies develop effective strategies to attract and retain top tech talent, and stay ahead of the competition. Here are some of the most critical factors that tech candidates consider when evaluating job opportunities.
Salary is, of course, a critical factor for tech candidates when evaluating job opportunities. Tech professionals have high expectations when it comes to their compensation, and companies that offer competitive salaries are more likely to attract and retain top talent.
As an example, the average starting salary for a software developer in the UK is just over £41,000 per year. However, this can vary depending on the level of experience and the location of the job.
Companies that offer competitive salaries can differentiate themselves from competitors and increase their chances of attracting top tech talent.
In addition to salary, tech candidates are also looking for a comprehensive benefits package. This can include things like:
- Health insurance and medical plans
- Pension plans
- Flexible working hours
- Remote and hybrid working
- Professional development opportunities (training, education, conferences)
- Opportunities for career growth and progression
- Employee discounts and perks (e.g. gym membership, company events)
- Parental leave and support for families
- Employee wellness initiatives (e.g. mental health support, physical fitness)
According to a survey, more than two-thirds (67%) of the UK workforce value work-life balance over pay, so companies that offer competitive benefits can set themselves apart from competitors and demonstrate their commitment to the well-being of their employees.
Flexible working arrangements have become increasingly important to tech candidates in recent years. With the rise of remote work and the growing demand for work-life balance, tech professionals are looking for employers that offer flexible working arrangements, such as remote work, flexible hours, and job sharing.
In a survey, 47% of employees said they would consider changing their jobs if flexible working wasn’t an option. This gives companies that offer flexible working a great chance to attract and retain top tech talent, and improve their employees' work-life balance.
Growth and Career Development Opportunities
Tech candidates are also looking for growth and career development opportunities. They want to work for companies that invest in their professional development, provide growth opportunities, and support their career aspirations.
Research shows that employee retention rates are 34% higher in organisations that offer professional development opportunities, while employees are 15% more engaged when they have clear progression opportunities.
Companies that provide opportunities for growth and career development can therefore attract and retain top tech talent, and help their employees reach their full potential.
Workplace Diversity and Inclusivity
Employees, particularly digital natives and new entrants to the market, place an emphasis on diversity and inclusion within the workplace. For example, 69% of millennials who believe their senior management teams are diverse consider their working environments as motivating and engaging. This is compared to 43% of those that don’t consider their leadership teams as being diverse.
By operating a fair and equal hiring policy, you can greatly improve perceptions of your business. Think about hiring more women and people from minority backgrounds, and ensuring that leaders are there on merit.
Tips to Improve Your Tech Hiring Process
Attracting top tech talent is a major challenge for many organisations, and a smooth and efficient hiring process is key to securing the best candidates. To improve your tech hiring process and increase your chances of attracting top talent, consider the following processes and tips.
- Define your hiring needs: The first step in hiring top tech talent is to define your hiring needs. This includes identifying the specific skills, knowledge, and experience that your ideal candidates should possess. By defining your hiring needs, you can better align your recruitment and selection process with your business goals and objectives.
- Valid and up-to-date job descriptions: Make sure that your job descriptions accurately reflect the requirements and responsibilities of the role, as well as the skills and experience that you are looking for in a candidate. Keeping your job descriptions up-to-date will also help you to avoid any potential confusion or miscommunication with candidates.
- Realistic salaries: Offering competitive salaries is crucial in attracting top tech talent. Make sure to research industry standards and the average salaries for similar roles in your area. Additionally, consider offering additional perks and benefits, such as flexible working arrangements, to help make your offer even more attractive.
- Leverage the right recruitment channels: Once you have defined your hiring needs, the next step is to leverage the right recruitment channels to reach potential candidates. This can include online job boards, professional networks, social media, and employee referrals. Each channel offers its own set of advantages and disadvantages, so it's essential to choose the channels that are most likely to reach your target audience.
- Better initial screening: Implementing an efficient and effective screening process can save time and resources in the long run by ensuring that only the most qualified candidates move forward in the hiring process. Consider using automated tools, such as pre-employment assessments, to streamline the screening process and identify top candidates more quickly.
- Remote interviews: With the increasing popularity of remote work, many tech candidates may prefer or expect to participate in virtual interviews. Offering remote interview options can make the hiring process more convenient and accessible for candidates, increasing the pool of potential applicants.
- Hiring manager video: Including a video from the hiring manager that recruiters can use during their sourcing efforts can help to give candidates a better understanding of the role and the organisation, as well as provide insight into the company culture and working environment. This can help to increase candidate engagement and build a stronger connection between the candidate and the organisation.
By focusing on the needs and expectations of tech candidates and offering a streamlined and efficient hiring process, you can make your organisation a more attractive option for top tech talent.
How Using an Agency Can Help to Streamline the Process
Partnering with a specialist technology recruitment agency can be a valuable asset in attracting top tech talent. An agency will have extensive networks and expertise in the tech industry and can provide valuable insights and support throughout the hiring process, from sourcing and screening candidates to negotiating offers and onboarding new hires.
- Access to a wider pool of candidates: Technology recruitment agencies have extensive networks and databases of tech professionals, giving you access to a wider pool of qualified candidates. This can be especially helpful if you are looking to fill a specialised or hard-to-find role.
- Expertise in tech hiring: Technology recruitment agencies have a deep understanding of the tech industry and the latest trends and developments. They can provide valuable insights and advice to help you attract top tech talent and streamline your hiring process.
- Increased efficiency: Technology recruitment agencies are experts in the hiring process and can handle much of the heavy lifting, freeing up your time and resources. This includes sourcing, screening, and interviewing candidates, as well as negotiating offers and handling the onboarding process.
- Cost-effective: Working with a technology recruitment agency can be more cost-effective than handling the hiring process in-house. Agencies have the resources and expertise to handle different aspects of the hiring process and deliver it on budget, meaning you can focus on your day-to-day job.
- Improved employer brand: Technology recruitment agencies can help to improve your employer brand by providing insights into what tech candidates are looking for in a role and an employer. This can help you to tailor your recruitment process and messaging to better appeal to top tech talent.
- Time to hire: Using a specialist recruitment agency can significantly reduce the time it takes to actually hire a candidate. On average, our clients go from role qualification to offer acceptance in just two weeks, which is a big improvement on typical timeframes.
As you can see, enlisting the help of a specialist technology recruitment agency can be a valuable asset in attracting top tech talent.
At Digitalent, we offer our Synergy Package, where we handle the heavy lifting and make your life easier by providing:
- In-depth market research and identification of potential candidates.
- Efficient first-stage interviews through our cutting-edge video interview platform.
- A candidate showcase for you to evaluate top talent.
- Seamless salary negotiations, offer management and reference check handling.
On average, our clients experience a 20-hour reduction in each hiring process, leading to a swift journey from candidate qualification to offer acceptance in just two weeks.
Take a look at this video for more information:
Hire the Best Tech Talent For Your Business
Hiring top tech talent can be a challenging task in today's competitive market. However, by understanding the needs and wants of tech candidates, streamlining the hiring process, and harnessing the expertise of a specialist technology recruitment agency, you can increase your chances of attracting the best of the best.
The key to success lies in being aware of the challenges associated with tech recruitment, such as the competitiveness of the market and the expectations of candidates, and taking proactive steps to address these challenges. This could include offering competitive salaries and benefits, providing growth and career development opportunities, and improving your hiring processes.
In the end, investing in your tech recruitment process can pay off in the long run, allowing you to attract and retain the best talent in the industry. So don't hesitate; take action today and contact Digitalent to help you source and hire the best in your industry.